Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Fanboy Rossetti



This is the accompaniment to the previous post, Ford Madox Brown Meets Young Rossetti.
I did this cartoon for Verity Holloway after she went to the trouble of tracking down and emailing me a copy of the full letter, which, for the life of me, I couldn't find excerpts of in any of my books. (I think I owe her another cartoon for that...)

This is Dante Gabriel Rossetti's younger brother, William Michael, fellow early PRB member who actually went on to marry Ford Madox Brown's oldest daughter Lucy. (Lucy was taught by her father and went on to become a painter in her right, as did  her younger half-sister Catherine. Brown himself didn't skimp on educating his girls in his techniques.)

William Michael will pop up again-- so far I've only depicted him being disparaging of Rossetti's model Fanny Cornforth here.

Coming up next: Lizzie's Trouble With Ruskin.

No comments:

Post a Comment